Absinthe is now legal in many countries and you could even buy Absinthe in the United States. This has sparked off a renewed curiosity about Absinthe as well as a new generation is curious about how to get Absinthe.
Absinthe is a strong liquor which is made by distilling alcohol by using a recipe of natural herbs. Traditional herbs used in Absinthe production consist of common wormwood, also called grande wormwood or artemisia absinthum, aniseed and fennel absinthe-kits. The aniseed provides the Absinthe its renowned anise or licorice flavor and the wormwood provides the drink a good edge of bitterness. Wormwood sports a chemical called thujone which was regarded as psychoactive and also to cause psychedelic effects. It was claimed that Absinthe contained considerable amounts of thujone and so it was banned in early 1900s. Research and tests indicated that Absinthe actually only contained really small quantities of thujone, inadequate to result in any effect whatsoever, and so the drink was once again legalized in many countries.
To achieve the actual taste of Absinthe you need to buy an Absinthe that contains wormwood. Do not be conned by way of the many fake Absinthes or substitute Absinthes – you need genuine wormwood Absinthe.
How to get Absinthe that contains wormwood
Here are some buying guidelines to help you obtain a true Absinthe:-
– Make your own from a kit. AbsintheKit.com sell absinthekits that may contain an Absinthe essence, a plastic measure and 14 creative bottle labels. The kit costs $29 plus it consists of enough essence to make 14 bottles of absinthe. Unlike steeping kits, the kits from AbsintheKit are already distilled so, whenever you mix them with vodka or Everclear, you have a true Absinthe check my reference. The essences contain the classic Absinthe herbs, such as wormwood, and therefore are an inexpensive method of acquiring a real wormwood Absinthe.
– Educate yourself regarding Absinthe online. Use the Buyer’s Guide on sites like lafeeverte.net to study up about Absinthes also to read reviews on certain brands.
– Make certain the Absinthe consists of wormwood rather than just southernwood or roman wormwood. The Absinthe should also comprise anise or aniseed. Some Czech Absinth are wormwood bitters, not true Absinthe, because they’re anise free.
– Look around and do a price comparison.
– Buy brands produced by reputable distillers and check out Absinthes which may have won awards.
How to get Absinthe timeless classics
Here are just a few Absinthes that you might want to consider trying. They all are real wormwood Absinthes.
– AbsintheKit.com Absinthe Classics essence – This essence creates a classic “verte” or green Absinthe that louches superbly.
– The Jade Collection – This assortment of vintage style Absinthes are distilled by Ted Breaux in France. They have won awards and also have got plenty of good reviews and write-ups on the web.
– Mari Mayans 70 – A Spanish Absinthe (Absenta). This collectors 70 edition has received awards and it has been made in Ibiza since 1880. Absinthe has never been banned in Spain so this Absinthe has always been in production.
– Sebor – A Czech Absinth which contains both wormwood and anise. It is a well known Czech brand with a great reputation.
– La Boheme Absinthe Original – A Czech Absinthe that is based on a 200 yr old Swiss recipe.
– Absinthe Roquete 1797 – This French Absinthe is dependent on an original 18th century recipe and it is distilled in 19th century alambics.
Other significant Absinthes are La Ptite Douce, Absinthe La Clandestine, Doubs Mystique Carte’Or, Absinthe Duplais and Lucid, that’s obtainable in the USA.
If you have bought your chosen Absinthe make sure to keep to the Ritual and to use an Absinthe glass and slotted spoon. Replicas of antique glasses and spoons can be acquired from AbsintheKit.com.
You now know how to get Absinthe, enjoy the taste of the Green Fairy.